And we're back

You can talk about anything in here
Snape
Site Admin
Great Britain

And we're back

Post by Snape »

After a brief 8 year downtime, the forums have been rebirthed - like a beautiful, slimy fetus slopping out of a crusty, ravaged vagina.

To give a bit of background - basically the old site ran on a phpnuke engine which stopped being supported in 2006. Web hosts eventually kept upgrading their PHP versions until finally the minimum became v5.6 (even that is legacy, most run on v7 or v8 now as standard) but phpnuke requires PHP 5.2 or 5.3 to work. So all hosts updated the minimum PHP version and phpnuke stopped working. I couldn't update it as phpnuke was no longer supported, or do anything from the interface as it wasn't available to do anything from. The other problem was because the site/forums had been so heavily (manually) modded with all the cool little gadgets we had - the RPG profile, arcade mod, manual attachments etc. it meant migration to other nuke-like platforms was also impossible with the available scripts.

So I kept backups. I asked several web hosts if they would support legacy PHP versions. I looked at trying to host something locally in the short-term. I know I could have easily just created a new website from scratch but I guess I wasn't prepared to just bin off 10 years of history, but I should have left some alternative option in the meantime. I just figured I'd be able to get something working for the original site, but then a month went by, then a year, then another... time passed by and life got in the way. I didn't have a web host, but I kept the domain name just in case - and every now and then I would have another unsuccessful crack at getting something working.

Truthfully, the renewal on the domain was set to end last January and I was contemplating giving up on it. I figured too much time had passed, nobody would miss it. The fate of the Fate of the Unwanted. Then literally a couple of weeks before it was about to expire, after 8 years of auto-renewal, I got a forwarded email through from Step via the domain enquiring if anyone still owned this and was willing to part with it. After a few back and forths he told me that there were still 17 FoUsters kicking it together on Discord! This was typically when my Discord account had been locked out and needed to be deleted and recreated, but it gave me time to finally pull my finger out and get something in place.

I had to give up on the main site itself and focus on restoring the forums, which is where the bulk of the memories were anyway, and then try to convert using mySQL the old phpnuke format database into modern phpBB structure. I wasn't even sure it was possible. But it's now about as good as it's going to be and it's stable which is the most important thing. Plus phpbb isn't going anywhere so I can add any styles/extensions without any risks.

What's migrated:
  • All user accounts that have >0 forum posts (lurkers/bots removed)
  • All forum categories/boards
  • All forum posts
  • Original smilies!
  • Most original bbcode like quotes, img links etc.
What's missing:
  • Forum polls (will work for new posts)
  • Old private messages
  • Old attachments
  • Searches
I've also found some of the old user banners but I can't find the backup which had everything - all the jk2 maps/skins, all the banners etc. I'll keep looking. I may be able to get some of the above working (not attachments) so please hold off using PMs in the meantime.

Otherwise - welcome back everyone, and I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get this working. I hope life has been treating you all well, and I look forward to hearing what you've all been doing to with yourselves over the years. <3
Original
FoUster

Re: And we're back

Post by Original »

what a silly excuse for being lazy....
since we've lost the website.. let me just post this here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UCr5tPh_mc

Also, i've been looking back on some of my old posts..... i want to apologize for being a huge immature cock.
As a Finishing touch. god created the dutch
Serge
FoUster

Post by Serge »

Original wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:49 pm Also, i've been looking back on some of my old posts..... i want to apologize for being a huge immature cock.

I'd apologize for the same, but I'm still probably the annoying shit I was 15 years ago.
Musashi
FoUster

Post by Musashi »

We all have things to apologise for.

Not me though.
Step
FoUster
Netherlands

Post by Step »

Mus.... created multiple life, back in the day that would be definitely a disaster!

Welcome back everyone, just ask any of us if you need an invite to the Discord server.
{FoU} Step
- Fate of Unwanted

Grable_
United States of America

Post by Grable_ »

The site was down?! Then where have I been posting my Babylon 5 erotic fan fiction for the past 12 years… :(
Spyke
United States of America

Post by Spyke »

Well hello. Was just binge watching Star Wars thinking of Jk2 and decided to see if this was still around and low and behold you guys are still kickin!
Original
FoUster

Post by Original »

Spyke wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:06 am Well hello. Was just binge watching Star Wars thinking of Jk2 and decided to see if this was still around and low and behold you guys are still kickin!
I've sent you a pm to acces the fou discord channel! come say hi!
As a Finishing touch. god created the dutch
Step
FoUster
Netherlands

Post by Step »

Yes we are still waiting!
{FoU} Step
- Fate of Unwanted

Spyke
United States of America