Time to begin considering a server

Talk about anything SWG related here
gramps

Time to begin considering a server

Post by gramps »

Seeing as how fast the Emulator is being worked on - with huge talks of a Christmas release, I think that FoU and community need to start thinking of a server we can all play on together. So that we do all play together this time. No excuses. dinkI have looked through Ahazi2, Pureswg, Lowcaserver, Lowca2, and SwgMonster. The most promising seems to be Pureswg as they are not changing anything. Hell, their motto is even "All we do is host the server" or something along those lines.What is everyone else thinking?
:{8):
PsychoMidget
FoUster

Post by PsychoMidget »

wanna die?
WasntMe... ShutUpYouFuck!
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Most important thing is a server that can handle a huge population, since the community is the game, and GM's that want to put alot of effort into making it work. No changes at all are not always the best of things, since an involved GM staff leads to events, new items, etc.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis ad capul tuum saxum immane mittam.
Vauce
FoUster

Post by Vauce »

Most important thing is a server that can handle a huge population, since the community is the game, and GM's that want to put alot of effort into making it work. No changes at all are not always the best of things, since an involved GM staff leads to events, new items, etc.Yes! There's this eXile server which is getting ~500-1500 a month in donations... But Donations don't mean a good server, just a dedicated community. And apparently they already have 1000 registrered on the forums, but that usually dosen't mean much. They are going to wait until the Emu is complete to set up the server farm. http://forums.swgemu.com/viewtopic.php? ... icnet.comI don't really know what to make of them, IMHO we should wait until the Emu is actually complete, and then see what the servers look like.
ErBSMoKAh

Post by ErBSMoKAh »

Most important thing is a server that can handle a huge population, since the community is the game, and GM's that want to put alot of effort into making it work. No changes at all are not always the best of things, since an involved GM staff leads to events, new items, etc.Yes! There's this eXile server which is getting ~500-1500 a month in donations... But Donations don't mean a good server, just a dedicated community. And apparently they already have 1000 registrered on the forums, but that usually dosen't mean much. They are going to wait until the Emu is complete to set up the server farm. http://forums.swgemu.com/viewtopic.php? ... icnet.comI don't really know what to make of them, IMHO we should wait until the Emu is actually complete, and then see what the servers look like.It has been discussed that the emulator may not be able to support much more than 300 people per server seeing as how nobody has a multi-million dollard server network to run it like SOE does.Personally I say we wait to launch and play on one of the servers that doesnt crash.
GuessWho17

Post by GuessWho17 »

Most important thing is a server that can handle a huge population, since the community is the game, and GM's that want to put alot of effort into making it work. No changes at all are not always the best of things, since an involved GM staff leads to events, new items, etc.Yes! There's this eXile server which is getting ~500-1500 a month in donations... But Donations don't mean a good server, just a dedicated community. And apparently they already have 1000 registrered on the forums, but that usually dosen't mean much. They are going to wait until the Emu is complete to set up the server farm. http://forums.swgemu.com/viewtopic.php? ... icnet.comI don't really know what to make of them, IMHO we should wait until the Emu is actually complete, and then see what the servers look like.It has been discussed that the emulator may not be able to support much more than 300 people per server seeing as how nobody has a multi-million dollard server network to run it like SOE does.Personally I say we wait to launch and play on one of the servers that doesnt crash.Agreed. Lets try em out when they are released then we can all agree on on one.
UberGoat

Post by UberGoat »

Umm, Erb, I don't think you need a multi-million dollar server to support more than 300 people.For example, someone who really wanted to pay $430 a month for a server (or with a group to make it easier to pay), I bet they could support hundreds more, depending on how SWG uses resources.This one looks extraordinary, lol...http://www.totalcontrolservers.com/prod ... C909F34The Planet is probably the best server company out there available to the public.
Vauce
FoUster

Post by Vauce »

It's not so much the hardware of the computers being used, as the bandwidth required for all the information in an MMORPG.
ErBSMoKAh

Post by ErBSMoKAh »

Umm, Erb, I don't think you need a multi-million dollar server to support more than 300 people.For example, someone who really wanted to pay $430 a month for a server (or with a group to make it easier to pay), I bet they could support hundreds more, depending on how SWG uses resources.This one looks extraordinary, lol...http://www.totalcontrolservers.com/prod ... C909F34The Planet is probably the best server company out there available to the public.lets just put it this way, the game is pretty much dead now and they still cant keep it from lagging.. they have been trying to fix the lag issue since the game was released. Even with a fraction of the players it lags out.. Now imagine some dude with a few machines at his house running a server with 300 people on it. It kinda freaks me out but im still going to be there. I'm going to grind out TKM the flamethrower line from commando and as much CM as I can possibly get... Then im going to farm NS until i get a really good Lance with a poison DOT. Then I will pwn JOO!
GuessWho17

Post by GuessWho17 »

I'm beggining to remember all the grinds, before Jedi... Rifleman and Pikeman were so much fun! Mmmmm, just the thought of GRINDING makes me happy. Who would of ever guessed it would turn out this way?