Wireless Network with Vista and XP

Something b0rked? We can help!!! Maybe.
ArchAngel

Wireless Network with Vista and XP

Post by ArchAngel »

i was wondering if anyone networked any pc's or laptops with one computer having xp and the other having vista. i'm getting a laptop next week with vista but my pc will be xp still. do these two OS's work well together when networked? or should i just install xp when i get my laptop?
Serge
FoUster

Re: Wireless Network with Vista and XP

Post by Serge »

i was wondering if anyone networked any pc's or laptops with one computer having xp and the other having vista. i'm getting a laptop next week with vista but my pc will be xp still. do these two OS's work well together when networked? or should i just install xp when i get my laptop?They work alright. If you know vista that will make it easier. I had a hard time the one time I had to mess with it just because I almost never work with vista. I suggest just installing xp b/c vista is horrid but thats just opinion.Basically the time I worked with one is while I was at a LAN party. One person had vista and it took a few hours for us to get them connected with internet and able to see the network. Ever one else was instantaneous.
Recon
FoUster

Post by Recon »

I tried to set up a wireless connection on vista just about the day it came out..Haven'T touched the shit ever since
Snape says:3AM IN THE MORNING YOU RANG ME AND WOULDN'T HANG UP BITCH
ArchAngel

Post by ArchAngel »

i think i'll just install xp. i've heard to many bad things about vista to mess with it now.
Step
FoUster
Netherlands

Post by Step »

arch, just try vista first, you are able to disable a lot of blockades if you are unable to share folders between both OSes. vista ain't hard to learn, ofcourse most prefer XP and it's faster too... tho vista is new so always fun to check out......you're always able to put windows xp back on!
{FoU} Step
- Fate of Unwanted

ArchAngel

Post by ArchAngel »

thats true, i guess it couldnt hurt to give it a try. i wont be gaming on it so performance shouldnt be an issue either.
DaikatanaGenshu

Post by DaikatanaGenshu »

Not sure if it will happen for you, but I had some trouble networking my new Vista PC with my old XP unit. From what I've read, Vista is able to "see" XP, but XP is unable to communicate with the Vista host at all. At least that's what happened with my network. Apparently Vista is using some new discovery protocol called Link-Layer Topology Discovery, and XP has nothing like that. Supposedly there's a patch for this protocol to run on XP machines at Microsoft.com, but it never really worked for me. Just giving you a heads up.
Step
FoUster
Netherlands

Post by Step »

Not sure if it will happen for you, but I had some trouble networking my new Vista PC with my old XP unit. From what I've read, Vista is able to "see" XP, but XP is unable to communicate with the Vista host at all. At least that's what happened with my network. Apparently Vista is using some new discovery protocol called Link-Layer Topology Discovery, and XP has nothing like that. Supposedly there's a patch for this protocol to run on XP machines at Microsoft.com, but it never really worked for me. Just giving you a heads up.discovery protocols has nothing to do with connectivity protocols, it's just a matter of showing up..... and they will once you put it in manually (like the IP address), I can easily verify for you arch that a network connection between both computers should not be a problem! ;)
{FoU} Step
- Fate of Unwanted

DaikatanaGenshu

Post by DaikatanaGenshu »

Not sure if it will happen for you, but I had some trouble networking my new Vista PC with my old XP unit. From what I've read, Vista is able to "see" XP, but XP is unable to communicate with the Vista host at all. At least that's what happened with my network. Apparently Vista is using some new discovery protocol called Link-Layer Topology Discovery, and XP has nothing like that. Supposedly there's a patch for this protocol to run on XP machines at Microsoft.com, but it never really worked for me. Just giving you a heads up.discovery protocols has nothing to do with connectivity protocols, it's just a matter of showing up..... and they will once you put it in manually (like the IP address), I can easily verify for you arch that a network connection between both computers should not be a problem! ;)Well fix my shit, then. I'm tired of not being able to share my pr0n on my network! :naughty:
Step
FoUster
Netherlands

Post by Step »

Not sure if it will happen for you, but I had some trouble networking my new Vista PC with my old XP unit. From what I've read, Vista is able to "see" XP, but XP is unable to communicate with the Vista host at all. At least that's what happened with my network. Apparently Vista is using some new discovery protocol called Link-Layer Topology Discovery, and XP has nothing like that. Supposedly there's a patch for this protocol to run on XP machines at Microsoft.com, but it never really worked for me. Just giving you a heads up.discovery protocols has nothing to do with connectivity protocols, it's just a matter of showing up..... and they will once you put it in manually (like the IP address), I can easily verify for you arch that a network connection between both computers should not be a problem! ;)Well fix my shit, then. I'm tired of not being able to share my pr0n on my network! :naughty:for starters, you in the same workgroup? what are your ip addresses, what can you do and what not, what did you try?
{FoU} Step
- Fate of Unwanted